-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Re: Map Cataloging Expectation
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 13:15:20 +0200
From: Jan Smits <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Between 1979 and 1999 I was Map Librarian for the Koninklijke Bibliotheek (National Library of The Netherlands). During that time I myself and 2 map-catalogers created almost 65,000 full maprecords (single sheets, but also maps in books and periodicals) in a mapdomain specific database. The full record included coded information, geographical co-ordinates (even when not denoted on the map), extensive notes, and attribution of classifications. Lots of records were derivates of other records we had created, there were no other institutes from which we could copy. Authority records (personal and corporate names, subjects, area) for several thesauri were created by an additional employee.

Since the middle of 2009 I am again half-time map-cataloguer of the same institute. I still create full records as above, but now in OCLC|Pica, that is a combined database with records for all library objects (books, periodicals, maps, music, electronic sources, etc.). Authority records for corporations and subjects are created by a separate group of cataloguers. Authority records for personal names and geographical entities are, however, my own responsibility. I guess that with some 40 work-weeks (we have a labour-contract to be jealous of with some nine weeks of holidays) and something more than 3 hours a day to catalogue I can create between 1,500 and 1,750 records for modern maps (topographic, hydrographic, geologic, morphologic, townplans and some miscellaneous, lots of serials) annually. The older the map to be cataloged, however, the more time it takes. I have one big advantage when processing maps which do not have co-ordinates. We have topographical atlases per prov
ince for the whole of The Netherlands on scales 1:25,000 and 1:50,000, as well for modern maps as 19th century maps (with the same page-division). For maps outside the Dutch territory I mainly use the Times atlas.

Should I only catalogue topographic maps I think I could do between 40-50 on a full workday (this includes acquisition-administration, security-stripping and stackroom-labeling). But one has to keep a clear head, because copying existing records can lead to sloppy work as records (except for geographical co-ordinates and area-coding) sometimes differ in minor details and sizes are not all the same.

A typical record of a topographical map (in OCLC|Pica marc) looks like:

0500 KFv

1100 2010

1104 byyaegkafaa..abba

1105 ac.aabbcb

1106 4+2007......+20090101

1107 00000050000...........

1108 aac....ai

1121 6

1500 /1ned

1700 /1nl

2000 =9789035001985

2020 22230533

3121 !322618134!

4000 @Alkmaar / Kadaster/Geo-Informatie

4026 Schaal 1:50.000

4027 stereografische proj.; ellipsoïde van Bessel 1841

4028 O 004 34 24 -O 004 52 19 /N 052 42 41 -N 052 29 05

4030 Apeldoorn : Kadaster

4060 1 krt

4061 in kleur

4062 53×43 cm, op bl. 57×72 cm

4150 @Topografische kaart van Nederland ; 19 west

4160 #190W#!327299487! ; 19 west

4201 De keerzijde van het blad is niet bedrukt

4201 De kaart is zowel plano als gevouwen (29×13 cm) te verkrijgen

4251 Op de kaarten is een vierkantennet aangegeven volgens het verschoven nationale, rechthoekige coördinatensysteem van de Rijksdriehoekmeting

4251 Op de kaarten is een diagram betreffende de magnetische deklinatie aangegeven

4252 De kaart is een gegeneraliseerde weergave van een fotogrammetrisch opgebouwd bestand

4253 De hoogtegegevens in meters zijn gebaseerd op Normaal Amsterdams Peil (N.A.P.), in België op Oostende Peil en in Duitsland op Normal Null; het hoogtelijnen-interval is 2,5 m

4253 De laagwaterlijn en de dieptelijnen zijn aangegeven in meters beneden N.A.P; het dieptelijnen-interval is 5 m

4255 Luchtfotografie en terreininformatie: 2007

4255 Grenzen: stand per 1 januari 2008

4255 Magnetische afwijking per 1 januari 2009

4256 Legenda in Nederlands, Engels en Duits

4258 Met bladwijzer waarop de aangrenzende bladen zijn aangegeven

5201 !322582199!

5202 !075632861!

5581 !314050256!

5591 !230185444!

LOK

3521 !322618134!

4701 jsm

4900 24-08-10 09:52:51.000

E01

7001 24-08-10 : gdj

7100 KL4.210    -0000/127/0019W/00/2007/1 !d! @ f

8009 jsm/34

8200 22230533

8322 euro 5.25

7900 24-08-10 09:52:51.000

7800 533346215

Tags in bold/italics have to be changed with almost every record.

And comes up thus in the local OPAC:

Title:

Alkmaar <http://opc4.kb.nl/DB=1/SET=2/TTL=1/CLK?IKT=4&TRM=Alkmaar>  / Kadaster/Geo-Informatie

Kadaster Geo-Informatie <http://opc4.kb.nl/DB=1/SET=2/TTL=1/REL?PPN=322618134>

Year:

2010

Publisher:

Apeldoorn : Kadaster <http://opc4.kb.nl/DB=1/SET=2/TTL=1/CLK?IKT=1018&TRM=Kadaster>

Series:

Topografische kaart van Nederland <http://opc4.kb.nl/DB=1/SET=2/TTL=1/CLK?IKT=12&TRM=327299487&REC=*>  ; 19 west <http://opc4.kb.nl/DB=1/SET=2/TTL=1/CLK?IKT=12&TRM=327299487&REC=*>

Note:

[...]

Extent:

1 krt. : in kleur. ; 53×43 cm, op bl. 57×72 cm

Scale:

Schaal 1:50.000

Projection:

stereografische proj.; ellipsoïde van Bessel 1841

Coordinates:

O 004 34 24-O 004 52 19/N 052 42 41-N 052 29 05

ISBN:

978-90-350-0198-5

Subject heading depository library (Netherlands):

topografie <http://opc4.kb.nl/DB=1/SET=2/TTL=1/REL?PPN=322582199> ; Noord-Holland <http://opc4.kb.nl/DB=1/SET=2/TTL=1/REL?PPN=075632861>

Request number:

KL4.210 -0000/127/0019W/00/2007/1 DEPOTEXEMPLAAR

Request info:

for inspection
available
 Request <http://192.87.31.188/LBSOpacLoan/startRequest.jsp?ACT=LRQ&EPN=533346215&MTR=mon&BES=1&LAN=EN&USR=888&REFERER=http%3A%2F%2Fopc4.kb.nl%3A80%2FDB%3D1%2FSET%3D2%2FTTL%3D1%2F%2FNXT&HOST_NAME=opc4.kb.nl&HOST_PORT=80&HOST_SCRIPT=&COOKIE=>

I also work on a project safeguarding early printed atlases and a record then will take me between 1 and 2 hours, sometimes more, for each atlas!

With kind regards,

Jan Smits

Koninklijke Bibliotheek, National Library of The Netherlands