-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Map Cataloging Expectations
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:20:59 -0500
From: Harry Davis <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Questions have arisen at our library respecting expectations for the number of maps to be cataloged per unit of time (month or year).

At issue is whether to have stated expectations.

We would be interested to learn whether map catalogers elsewhere are given numerical expectations and, if so, how the expectations are determined and applied.

A related question:  To what extent do expectations vary numerically with respect to copy cataloging vs. original cataloguing for maps.  Also, do you do short record cataloging for maps and, if so, how does that factor into the expectations?

It would be helpful to know whether your response relates to the work of a “full-time” map cataloger or to that of a cataloger with mixed duties.

Please feel free to respond online or offline directly to me.

Many thanks in advance.

Harry Davis

Map Librarian -- Southern Illinois University Carbondale -- Carbondale, IL 62901-6632

Phone: 618~453~2372 or 618-453-2705  /// [log in to unmask]