-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: 'at risk' digital map (or related) collections?
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:45:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Julie Sweetkind-Singer <[log in to unmask]>
To: Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, all,

I would have to agree with Jon on this. Over the years of working on the NDIIPP grant, it became clear to me that any digital content that was not being actively managed was at risk of being lost. But, it's not simply through the loss of the media (say, a CD-Rom going bad or a tape becoming moldy), it's also through the loss of usable formats or data/imagery that must be read using a certain type of software on a specific operating system which is no longer used.Â

We now have a Digital Forensics lab in the library that is working on these very issues in combination with our Stanford Digital Repository folks. You can read more about their work here: http://lib.stanford.edu/digital-forensics .

Julie

***
Julie Sweetkind-Singer
Assistant Director of Geospatial, Cartographic and Scientific Data & Services
Acting Head Librarian
Branner Earth Sciences Library & Map Collections
Stanford University
397 Panama Mall; MC 2211
Stanford, CA 94305
(650)725-1102