-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Does the Ramona Project live on?
Date:   Thu, 12 Dec 2013 20:53:08 +0000
From:   Weessies, Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]

I recently unearthed an article I wrote in 2006 when NSDI's Ramona
Project launched.  Ramona was (is?) an early Volunteered Geographic
Information project to compile metadata on GIS data layers at the local
level.

The article was published in a GIS newsletter read primarily by state
and local government GIS wonks in Michigan.  I talked about Ramona's
likelihood of gaining participation.  I paralleled it to OCLC which has
high benefits for participation (the labor savings of copy cataloging)
vs no such benefit for most GIS data sets.

I'd forgotten about the article (which is here)
<http://www.imagin.org/publications/imaginews/2006_03-04.pdf> and the
Ramona project until just now. Ramona seems to be living on here:
http://www.gisinventory.net/

Do any magirt-ers or maps-l readers participate in this project?

Kathleen Weessies
Geosciences Librarian
Head, Map Library

Coordinator, Collaborative Technology Labs
Michigan State University Main Library
366 W. Circle Drive W308
East Lansing, MI  48824

Office phone 517-884-0849