I probably should wait for my brain to catch up with my fingers but nah,
I'm forwarding this one too.

-a-

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: ["EXLIBRIS-L"] maps as a matter of interest to curators of
rare books and special collections
Date:   Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:31:06 -0600
From:   Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

It makes good since to remove anything from a book that is acidic and
causing harm, assuming that there is no other way to mitigate that harm
(like inserting tissue buffers) and folding maps on certain kinds of
papers often do not survive when left folded in place for a long time.
But I think the practices that have been cited also include prints and
non-folding inserts, and there was no mention that any of this is done
selectively in accordance with a thoughtful conservation policy. I do
recall that the original post was about maps and cited convenience and
"time-saving" as justifications.
The comment that this was not being done to 15th century atlases brought
a chuckle (never mind the cheerful thought that there are piles of 15th
century atlases out there waiting to be harvested). It's hard to think
of government reports and some modern publications becoming the
incunabula of the future, but wait 500 years and check back with me on
that. With that thought in mind, I have to wonder if Gutt'mberg, the
infamous 15th century breaker and distant cousin to a certain printer
used a similar excuse as he sliced out things from the new books of his
own day ("hey, at least I'm not cutting up vellum mss!"). Which led me
to think of the famous French breaker, Cancellans, whose friends
teasingly nick-named him Cancellandum when they realized he did not
replace what he cut out. He defended his habit of slicing up mss by
explaining that he did not slice up nice old papyruses. Which led to
thoughts of Egyptian king and breaker Princeps II, who cut up papyruses
but respected old cuneiforms, or his father before him Ed Princeps who
literally broke apart cuneiforms (hence the origins of the term
"breaker"), and then we recall the cave dweller/breaker, his name lost
to history, who defaced cave paintings but not drawings in the dirt. Of
course it all started with that very first breaker who used a stick to
wipe away somebody else's map drawn in the dirt. I hope he was clubbed.
Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive