-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Ordnance Survey maps of Ireland ca. 1906
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 00:02:55 +0000
From: Ratliff, Louise <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Hi there,

I have a question about Ordnance Survey maps of Ireland that were drawn around the turn of the century, 1904-1906 or so. I am cataloging a number of “Old Ordnance Survey Maps,” The Godfrey Edition, which are modern reprints. They refer only to the name “Ordnance Survey,” but I am thinking this is not the Great Britain Ordnance Survey, but the Irish one, because the original maps were published by “the Director General at the Ordnance Survey Office, Phoenix Park, Dublin.” Can someone clarify for me just who was responsible for the original maps?

There are dozens of records in OCLC for these modern maps, but only a few record the corporate name as Ordnance Survey of Ireland. Here is the name authority record for that body:

110 2 Ordnance Survey of Ireland

410 1 Great Britain. ǂb Ordnance Survey of Ireland ǂw nnaa [this is a form of the name that used to be used in bibliographic records]

410 2 Survey of Ireland

410 2 Léarscáilíocht Éireann

510 2 Ordnance Survey (Ireland)

667 Valid for pre-1922 imprints

Thanks in advance for your help!

Louise

Louise Ratliff

Social Sciences and Map Catalog Librarian

UCLA Library Cataloging & Metadata Center

11020 Kinross Ave.

Box 957230

Los Angeles, CA 90095-7230

(310)206-5853