------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: The decline and fall of the descriptive gazetteer
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 12:37:46 -0500
From: Joel Kovarsky <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

I am assuming your focus is on Western European gazetteers, and perhaps more focused on those British. Their history in China may be older: <http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2719404?uid=3739936&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21103277674257> and <http://www.emeraldinsight.com/journals.htm?articleid=17066178&show=abstract> . Given my lack of linguistic skill, I have no idea how these structurally compare to later western counterparts, although looking at that paper it appears they tended to be quite regional.

Given your ongoing and extensive involvement with this subject, it would not surprise me if you already knew this.

Joel Kovarsky