-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: The decline and fall of the descriptive gazetteer
Date:   Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:54:54 +0000
From:   humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Joel Kovarsky <[log in to unmask]>
CC:     [log in to unmask]

No, know nothing about that work.

I am writing the chapter not because I am an expert on the history of
gazetteers, but because I am one of the editors of the book, we
concluded a historical chapter was essential, and as far as we could
discover — including emails on lists — there are no experts on the
history of gazetteers. I have done extensive historical research in the
past, but on British economic and social history, and the reason I am
involved in the book is my expertise on data models for digital gazetteers.

… so, please say more about the history of American geographic education!

Best wishes,

Humphrey Southall