-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [ Russian 1-verst (1:42,000) indexes needed
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 07:31:29 +0000
From: Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
To: mapsL <[log in to unmask]>, Carto-soc <[log in to unmask]>, AMC <[log in to unmask]>

Besides the German Topograph. Specialkarte von Mittel-Europa, I am also looking for series indexes for the Imperial Russian 1-verst (1:42,000) series of European Russia and Central Asia.

Does anyone have any idea on the extent of this series?
I have found indexes for the parts that cover Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland on www.maps4U.lt and www.mapywig.org, but we have sheets in the Ukraine and Caucasus and apparently Central Asia!

The Imperial Russian sheets seem to be 12' lat x 15' long. We also have a 1930s Ukraine sheet (still 1:42,000) that is 10' lat x 15'long, so different again (in line with more recent Soviet mapping, but not yet metricated to 1:50,000).

Can anyone help?

I have drawn up blank indexes for 2-verst (1:84,000) and 10-verst (1:420,000) series and found one online for 3-verst (1:126,000) sheets, but as these are all completely different sheet lines and projections, they do not 'nest' in each other as the Soviet metric mapping did, so I can't scale them up or down to help.

I'm happy to share the blank 2-, 3- and 10-verst indexes if anyone could use them.

Dr Brendan Whyte
Assistant Curator of Maps
National Library of Australia
Parkes Place
Parkes
ACT 2600
AUSTRALIA

Ph: +61 2 6262 1192
Fax: +61 2 6262 1653
http://www.nla.gov.au/map/index.html
“...then they came for the librarians, but I did not speak up, because you're not allowed to talk in the library"