------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: theoretical map classification?
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 08:28:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Paige G. Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To: Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Naomi,
I am also looking at the 1976 (4th ed.) and 2007 editions of the G-schedule and the note that appears with the class number G9900 is what Louise has shared. There is no reference to going to the subject code table. There is no need to -- the class number of 9900 means that what is being classed is a theoretical map or maps, and therefore it is not necessary to apply a subject code to the class number. It also means that one does not change the 4th digit to a "1" -- which is what one does when turning to the G1 table to apply a subject code from that table. The subject is inherent in the class number. In my opinion, whomever created bib. records for similar maps that you found in OCLC mis-applied the classification number and you should use G9900.

Paige