Hello. We've had an inquiry into whether we have any of these Navy Hydrographic Office radar charts. The patron indicated that they were the H.O. Misc. 13,000 series published between 1940-1946 and the usual poster sized chart (around the 24 x 36 inch size).

We were able to find a US Army radar navigation chart for the Ohio River from 1950 and believe it is similar to the above H.O. Misc. 13,000 series. A typed note on the back says:

"Radar charts are printed on fluorescent paper. The charts glow when view [sic] in the dark under ultraviolet (black) light. The image appears much the same as the image appears on the radar scope. An 8 watt black light, equipped with a a nickel oxide filter, peaking at 3650 angstrom units is suitable for this purpose."

It is a negative print but the white is sort of a bright yellow - as one would expect a glow in the dark media. This, however, is small, 8 x 14 inches, and appears to have been in a 2 ring binder of some type with other maps. We can only find this one so far.

So, again, the question is, does anyone know anything about this H.O. Misc. 13,000 series of radar piloting charts?

Thanks much!

-Angie

Angie Cope
American Geographical Society Library
UW Milwaukee Libraries
2311 E. Hartford Avenue
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201

http://www.uwm.edu/Libraries/AGSL/index.html
Hours: M-F 8:00am-4:30pm
(414)229-6282 / (800)558-8993 (US TOLL FREE) / (414)229-3624 (FAX)
43°03'8"N 87°57'21"W

Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/agslibrary
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/agslibrary/