-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Weeding USGS topographic maps
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 11:56:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Paige G. Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To: Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Carlos,
While I agree that the best thing we can do to provide access to resources in our map collections, I'm here to tell you that the "if you build it they will come" philosophy DOES work in the context of cataloging our maps and having those records in our OPACs! I've witnessed it many times since I've been here at Penn State. By "holdings" I assume you mean "records"; we go beyond that to itemize at the sheet level so our "holdings" are both the record and in cases where multiple sheets are involved also the individual sheets, all in the name of better/best patron access and finding out what we truly own locally.
Paige