rom: Carlos Diaz [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2014 10:18 AM
To: [log in to unmask]; DOCTECH-L; [log in to unmask]
Subject: Fwd: Re: Maps Locator Search Engine [FMG]

In case you are having difficulties using the USGS Map Locator.  My inquiry
is at the bottom of the email.

       ,-~~-.___.

      / |  '     \         "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of

     (  )         0         the few or the one."

      \_/-, ,----'

         ====           //               Mr. Spock

        /  \-'~;    /~~~(O)              Star Trek:  The Wrath of Khan

       /  __/~|   /       |

     =(  _____| (_________|

Carlos A. Diaz

Government Publications, Maps, and Microforms

James E. Brooks Library

Central Washington University

Mailstop 7548

Ellensburg, WA 98926

http://www.lib.cwu.edu/government-publications/

Carlos' phone:   (509) 963-1545

>>> "ASK, GS-N-MAC" <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> > 4/25/2014 6:19 AM

Dear Mr. Diaz,

Thank you for sending your comments to the U.S. Geological Survey.

We do understand your frustration, however there are few options available
to us that will restore the lost functionality without paying for a Google
license.

Because of the cost of Google licenses the USGS made the switch from the
Google geocoder for addresses to the ESRI geocoder. Admittedly, the results
are not as good.

MLAD uses the same geocoder that The National Map uses for its addresses. It
is not something specific to MLAD or modifiable by the developers. It is an
ESRI product.

We are looking at providing the additional options in MLAD, but this was not
part of the original design so it is not currently a priority.

Again, the USGS regrets the difficulty you have experienced. Please contact
us again if you have more questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

U.S. Geological Survey

Science Information Services

Office of Communications and Publishing

12201 Sunrise Valley Drive, MS 507

Reston, VA 20192

888-ASK-USGS (275-8747)

<http://internal.usgs.gov/visual/visual_id_files/raster/color_348/gif/80x22_
green.gif>

Connect with USGS at usgs.gov/socialmedia <http://usgs.gov/socialmedia>

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 8:00 PM, <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> >