-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        expressing scale of raster data for classification
Date:   Mon, 07 Apr 2014 14:33:24 -0700
From:   Jon Jablonski <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

-
A question for you catalogers out there.

When creating LC class numbers for serial maps, we would generally
follow the form:

G 3201s E2 var E3 yyyy

This would be a call number for a serial population map produced by
Eastview, and each edition, since it's an annual, would be given a year
extension on the end.  BUT:  this is the LandScan dataset.  The scale is
not at all variable.  And it's certainly not 'scale not given' (which is
how UC decided to catalog the online version).  The scale is 30 arc
seconds, or approximately 1 square kilometer pixels near the equator.

All raster data is going to have scale given like this.  There is no
ratio scale.  So how should we express the scale in a call number?

I realize this is somewhat academic, but let's pretend I need to put a
call number on a DVD and I have no choice but to classify this in the
map call number range and I really don't want to break the
classification system.

--
Jon Jablonski
Map & Imagery Laboratory