-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Spell out 255 Field Abbreviations?
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 15:53:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Paige G. Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To: Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Merry,
I think your best bet is to spell out all abbreviations in the 255 field regardless. That way you don't have to worry about "exceptions" for this circumstance or that. To be more specific however, the only terms allowed to be abbreviated in RDA are those in table B7 in the toolkit. If you take each of your terms and compare (i.e., if they are not in the table they cannot be abbreviated). And by the way, you don't have to worry about 255$c as there aren't terms in the coordinates statement and directions are already abbreviated to W, E, N, and S as a standard and have been for a very long time. Its $a and $b that you need to focus on.
Paige Andrew
Maps Cataloging Librarian
Penn State University