_____

Dear Friends and Colleagues:

We're pleased to announce the release of Neotoma Explorer 2.0, a new
interface for searching, exploring, and obtaining paleoecological data
stored in the Neotoma Paleoecology Database: http://www.neotomadb.org/

Neotoma Explorer has been re-engineered from the ground up to provide more
flexible, easier, and full-featured access to the Neotoma Paleoecology
Database through modern Web browsers.  Explorer 2.0 uses the publicly
available Neotoma Application Programming Interface (API;
http://api.neotomadb.org) to search and extract the most current data
available via REST-ful web services.  An entirely new JavaScript and HTML
application, Explorer is built with free and open source Dojo and OpenLayers
libraries making it more easily extended and customized compared to previous
versions.

Our goal for 2.0 has been to deliver the same functionality available in the
current Explorer plus many usability enhancements and bug fixes.  We are
adopting a rapid release cycle to deliver new functionality, enhancements,
and bug fixes monthly.  Our issue tracker and development roadmap are
publicly available at the following URLs:
https://bitbucket.org/cei/neotomaexplorerjs/issues and
https://bitbucket.org/cei/neotomaexplorerjs/wiki.  We encourage your
participation and feedback.

In addition, all Neotoma data can now be accessed from R using  the neotoma
package developed by Simon Goring and colleagues:
http:/www.github.com/ropensci/neotoma

We are also developing new tools to facilitate the contribution of data to
Neotoma.  In the meantime, if you are interested in contributing your
paleoecological data to Neotoma, please contact Eric Grimm
([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> ) or visit
http://www.neotomadb.org/data/category/contribution

Please give the new Explorer a try and send us your feedback.  Again,
that's: http://www.neotomadb.org/  Thanks.

Sincerely,
Brian Bills and Mike Anderson, Developers
Russ Graham, Eric Grimm, Alison Smith, Jack Williams, Simon Goring, et al.,
Scientists