The concluding paragraph to that piece reads:

        "Although much work remains to be done before the center is
        completed, for now around 50,000 of the collection's maps are
        available for free online <http://www.davidrumsey.com/>."

That might sound a bit ominous in terms of future online public access,
but as I understand things the collection will retain its online
presence, including free access to the public.

                 Joel Kovarsky