Well, in a way, it is a little bit of both.

For example, records for topographic maps are created by the Government
Printing Office (GPO) via the Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP)
monographically for each topographic quadrangle.  However, you can add a
series name on the 830 field like this:

830    0 (2nd indicator)     7.5 minute series (topographic)
Washington (State)

That way you can find it both by the quadrangle name or the series.
Typically most libraries don't add the state name but I do in order to
make it easier to for patrons to find what they need.

However, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) has changed the way they do
topographic maps.  Since 2011, they have created a new topographic maps
program called USTopo.  This new series of topographic maps are
available online only via the USGS website.  They have a created a new
.pdf format that allows you to remove  layers.  This series includes an
aerial photographic image of the area.  You can remove the layer and see
the drawing, etc.  The first edition of these maps were published in
2011.  Those editions are not as detailed as its predecessors.  However,
the 2nd editions which were published in late 2013 and early 2014 are
much better.

As a result of this new program, the USGS has decided they will publish
new editions every three years....meaning of course that sometime in the
near future, the catalogers at GPO will be converting those monographic
records into serial records.  They will still be the individual
topographic maps, but all you will need to do is add an item record to
the bibliographic record and you will be done.

I hope this helps some.

	   ,-~~-.___.
	  / |  '     \		 "The needs of the many outweigh the
needs of
	 (  )   	  0   	  the few or the one."
	  \_/-, ,----'
		 ====		   //  			 Mr. Spock
	    /  \-'~;    /~~~(O) 			 Star Trek:  The
Wrath of Khan
	   /  __/~|   /       |
	 =(  _____| (_________|

Carlos A. Diaz
Government Publications, Maps, and Microforms

James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
Mailstop 7548
Ellensburg, WA 98926
http://www.lib.cwu.edu/government-publications/
Carlos' phone:   (509) 963-1545

>>> Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]> 8/11/2014 7:31 PM >>>
The National Library of Australia is seeking information on which map
collections out there catalogue their series mapping at individual
edition-of-the-sheet level, and how many only use series-level records
(and who might use some combination of the two, or some other system).

Is there a previous survey that might give me data on the policies of
non-Australian map collections, that someone could point me to?

Otherwise, can collections please email me offlist and let me know your
policy?

To get the ball rolling, at present our own policy is to catalogue
non-Australian series at series-level only (with an index online and in
the reading room), and all Australian series at individual sheet/edition
level.

Thanks!

Brendan

Dr Brendan Whyte
Assistant Curator of Maps
National Library of Australia
Parkes Place
Parkes
ACT 2600
AUSTRALIA

Ph: +61 2 6262 1192
Fax: +61 2 6262 1653
http://www.nla.gov.au/map/index.html

“Ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially
for children.”