SimplyMap has a layer called "EASI Total Crime Index" that takes data from
the FBI Universal Crime Reporting Program and maps it by county. It looks
like y'all might not subscribe to SimplyMap, but just in case you do...
that would be an easy way to export the data as a shapefile for the state
of Texas.

Theresa Quill
GIS/Data Visiting Librarian
Bloomington, Indiana