Hello, and thank you again to everyone who replied, both on-list and off.

It is indeed a map of Japan, from around 1900. I haven't yet confirmed the
exact edition, but the grand prize goes to Lou Malcomb for noting the
extremely close similarity between our mystery map and the fold out map
included in Murray's "A handbook for travellers in Japan, including the
whole empire from Yezo to Formosa (1903)
<https://archive.org/details/handbookfortravejohn>."
(A direct link to the scanned map is here
<https://archive.org/stream/handbookfortravejohn#page/n722/mode/1up>.)
Since the railroad lines are more complete in the 1903 edition, my guess is
that the mystery map is from an earlier edition of Murray's Handbook of
Japan.

Thank you again, everyone!

Best,
Susan

ps: In looking through digitized copies of the various Murray handbooks
published in the late 1800s/ early 1900s it brought home again the
importance of digitizing the the fold-out inserts. In most of the digital
copies I looked through the fold-outs were not digitized fully (although,
frustratingly, you could see them folded up in the book). Especially when
so many of us are looking to these digital copies as part of criteria for
withdrawals, and the items are not widely held, it's disheartening to see
that some of the most valuable content is not fully captured. <rant />

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Susan Powell <[log in to unmask]
> wrote:

> Oops! Here is a link to the mystery map: ​​​
>  Map.jpg
> <https://docs.google.com/a/berkeley.edu/file/d/0Bz0NrVxoaPgaZTNJSDducEVEMTB4TU5FWTZFTHZBMFZ3OWF3/edit?usp=drive_web>
> ​
>
> --