From: Maps-L: Discussion Forum for Maps, Air Photo, Map Librarianship, GIS, etc. <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Paige G. Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2014 11:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MAPS-L] 300 field in RDA

Allison,

First, remember that an atlas is a cartographic resource, which means ignore what you might see in the way of describing a book (monograph) because a bound atlas might look like a book but it shouldn't necessarily be treated like one.

In RDA, go to 3.4.2 to get started on Extent. To see specifically how the Extent for an atlas is treated see 3.4.2.5. and the examples there. And yes, it should be in the manner of "1 atlas (pagination)" or "1 atlas (X volumes)". This covers 300$a.

Moving on to other physical details, or 300$b. Here you have to do a bit more digging because different details are broken out separately in RDA. For instance, "Production Method" is at 3.9, while "Layout" is at 3.11 and for carto resources specifically see 3.11.1.3 (more important for sheet maps, but thought I would bring it to your attention). Generally speaking this area of the 300 field is similar to what is indicated for a book, though it is helpful to share number of maps included and whether or not they are all or partially "color", though only if the maps are not too numerous. Its okay to say "illustrated, maps (most color)".

Dimensions go in 300$c of course. Follow instructions at 3.5.1.4.14, paying attention to the first item under "Exceptions". (If cataloging a map see 3.5.2 for this.)

Hope this is helpful.

Paige