As I understand this, a good bit depends on an individual institution's decision. See the Oct. 2014 working draft for DCRM--cartographic: http://dcrmc.pbworks.com/w/file/87480814/DCRMC20141014.doc . Others here will know the schedule for a final release and contentious points that may still exist, but from the existing document:

"X. Precataloging decisions

Before a bibliographic record can be created for an item or group of items awaiting cataloging in an institution’s special collections, appropriate decisions must be made regarding the array of descriptive options available to the cataloger. These precataloging decisions include: determining whether DCRM(C) or AACR2 rules will govern the description, choosing the level of cataloging that will be applied, and determining the extent to which various options in the rules will be exercised.

Because DCRM(C) was written to address the special needs of users of rare materials, it is likely to be the appropriate cataloging code for the majority of cartographic items held in special collections. However, for some categories of materials, the cataloging objectives (see introductory section III) may be met by use of AACR2 or by the application of options within the DCRM(C) rules that permit less detail in the description. Full-level DCRM(C) records that employ all possible descriptive options will not necessarily be the best choice for every item.

The following section provides guidance for catalogers and cataloging administrators faced with these decisions and identifies some of the institutional and contextual factors that should be taken into consideration. It assumes that certain routine choices will already have been made, such as whether the encoding standard for the description will be MARC 21.

Institutions may promote efficiency by setting cataloging policies for specific categories of materials in their collections rather than making decisions on an item-by-item basis. For example, an institution may decide to catalog all pre-20th-century cartographic materials using DCRM(C), trace printers and mapsellers for all pre-19th-century cartographic materials, but give signature statements and expansive
descriptive notes for pre-18th-century materials only. It may choose to catalog all later materials according to AACR2, but add selected genre/form or provenance name headings. It may decide that collection-level cataloging is sufficient for 20th-century road maps. A mechanism for easily making exceptions to general cataloging policy is desirable as well. If, for example, a curator buys an atlas for its notable cloth binding, description of and access to the binding ought to be given in the bibliographic record, even if it is not the institution’s usual policy to describe bindings."