Theresa,

  I read the other replies, which were all great and wanted to add one thing; some items are considered “rare” if they are one-of-a-kind.  The map might not be valuable or fragile or old, but if it is the only one in the world, it might end up in the rare map holdings.  This happens for mostly manuscript maps, of course.

  Why you would have a less than valuable or fragile map in a rare area would be based on your collection policies.  A map by an important person in your institution might be very significant to your holdings, but not so much to the rest of the world.

Colleen

Colleen R. Cahill

Digital Conversion Coordinator and

    Recommending Officer for Fantasy and Science Fiction

Geography & Map Division

Library of Congress

101 Independence Ave. SE

Washington, DC 20540-4650