Hi all,

I'm in the middle of revamping what we consider "rare maps" and I was wondering if y'all have policies that spell out which maps are "rare". Do you do it by date? If so, what is your cutoff? Number of copies in the world? Relevance to your institution?
For example, the USGS 15 and 30 minute topos are OLD but not necessarily RARE. We also have some newer maps that we hold the only cataloged copy for. So maybe there's a hybrid solution? If you do have a policy, would you mind sharing it?

Thanks!

--
Theresa Quill
Map/GIS Coordinator, Herman B Wells Library