​Hi Manon,

I'm exercising my brain this morning trying to respond to your very interesting question. I'm probably not entirely understanding what you asking but I'll chime in anyway.

The terms you listed (CROSS SECTION, KEY MAP, PLAT, RELIABILITY DIAGRAM, SLOPE DIAGRAM, GEOLOGIC COLUMN) typically are additional elements on a map and not necessarily the sole item being cataloged. I'm sure there are exceptions to that but generally not. I view those glossary terms as a way to help us understand types of maps or types of additional elements on a map. The glossary terms help me understand how to describe these additional elements in a 500 note and/or how to choose subject headings.

Your choices for the 300 MARC field are atlas, diagram, globe, map, model, profile, remote-sensing image, section or view.

If you have a sheet that is just a subway diagram - not drawn to scale and with no effort to represent a portion of reality in a representative way, then call it a diagram. But, I would certainly argue against calling a plat map a diagram. Maybe if the plat map is not drawn out in an in accurate scale then it could be a diagram though I can't think of many examples of that. There are those newish family maps atlases by Arphax Pub. Co. that are not to scale. But, those are called an atlas not a book of diagrams.

Fun question!

-Angie

Angie Cope
American Geographical Society Library
UW Milwaukee Libraries
2311 E. Hartford Avenue
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201

http://www.uwm.edu/Libraries/AGSL/index.html
Hours: M-F 8:00am-4:30pm
(414)229-6282 / (800)558-8993 (US TOLL FREE) / (414)229-3624 (FAX)
43°03'8"N 87°57'21"W

Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/agslibrary
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/agslibrary/

From: Maps-L: Discussion Forum for Maps, Air Photo, Map Librarianship, GIS, etc. <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Manon Theroux <[log in to unmask]>

Dear cartographic catalogers,

I have a few questions about some of the glossary definitions in Cartographic Materials, especially the way these definitions sometimes appear to conflict with the 5B1 application that provides guidance on which specific material designation (SMD) to use in the extent element in the MARC21 300 field. I've indicated below the 6 terms that are are causing me trouble. Can anyone shed any light?

CROSS SECTION
5B1 SMD term: "section"
Glossary definition: "diagram" (full definition: "A diagram showing the intersection of a vertical plane and the surface of the Earth")
Question: Why not use SMD "diagram"? Is the glossary definition misleading? The glossary definition for "Section (Cartography)" begins "A scale representation ..." and does not mention the word "diagram"

KEY MAP
5B1 SMD term: "map"
Glossary definition: "diagram" (full definition begins: "A diagram, located in the margin of a map sheet ...")
Question: Why not use SMD "diagram"? And why would one be cataloging a key map to begin with (and thus need a SMD) if it is merely something in the margin of a map? Is the glossary definition misleading? Or is the term not needed in 5B1?

PLAT
5B1 SMD term: "map"
Glossary definition: "diagram". (full definition says: "A diagram drawn to scale showing land boundaries ... a plat differs from a map in that it does not necessarily show additional cultural, drainage, and relief features")
Question: Why not use SMD "diagram"? Is the glossary definition misleading?

RELIABILITY DIAGRAM
5B1 SMD term: "diagram"
Glossary definition: "diagram" (full definition: "A diagram, in the margin of a map, that shows the dates and quality of the source material from which the map has been compiled")
Question: Why would one be cataloging a reliability diagram to begin with (and thus need a SMD) if it is merely something in the margin of a map? Is the glossary definition misleading? Or is the term not needed in 5B1?

SLOPE DIAGRAM
5B1 SMD term: "diagram"
Glossary definition: "diagram" (full definition: "A graphic scale in the margin of a map, from which the angle of slope between contours can be deduced")
Question: Why would one be cataloging a slope diagram to begin with (and thus need a SMD) if it is merely something in the margin of a map? Is the glossary definition misleading? Or is the term not needed in 5B1?

GEOLOGIC COLUMN
Glossary: Full definition reads: "1. A composite diagram that shows in columnar form the sequence of stratigraphic units of a time. 2. The sequence of rocks portrayed in such a column."
Question: The glossary has a "see" reference from "geologic section" to "geologic column" but the term "geologic section" actually appears within the text of two glossary definitions (namely "Fence diagram" and "Section (Cartography)"). Are the two terms fully synonymous or do they mean slightly different things?

Thanks,
Manon

--
Manon Théroux