Does anyone know about the existence a (free) GIS layer of “revenue village” boundaries for India? Actually, he only needs these for the state of Tamil Nadu.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark A. Thomas, GIS, Map, & Federal Documents Librarian

Subject Librarian for Economics and Geography

233C Perkins Library / 919-660-5853 / [log in to unmask]

Hi Mark,

Thank you for this information. This is helpful, but the "village" level I'm referring to is actually not the Panchayat. There are two different, but similar, ways of mapping India. Our data is identified by district-block-panchayat-gramum, but we are trying to match this with administrative data that is identified by district-taluk-revenue village

Looking through these websites it doesn't look like any of them would have maps at the revenue village level, which is what we are currently lacking. I was wondering whether other institutions might have this information. The PIs on this project are based at Harvard so we do have access to their library as well. Would it be possible to reach out to other institutions that might have this type of detailed mapping information?

If we are unable to find good maps, it seems like the only alternative is to use jpeg files of interactive maps from the Tamil Nadu government website and overlay this with the maps we do have. Of course, this is far from ideal but seems like it may be the only option.

If you have any ideas please let me know. Also, if you think it would be useful for me to stop by tomorrow to talk to you or someone else in the data lab, I'd be happy to do that.

[from me}

It looks like there are around  226 Taluks and 16,564 villages (Panchayat) in Tamil Naduu (per Wikipedia)

You can download a list of them, at least, here: http://lgdirectory.gov.in/downloadDirectory.do?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=K1TG-1VOS-3UCU-LCBH-DEZ9-LCV7-4GH3-WNRF

This detailed discussion is pessimistic:

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/58574/finding-municipal-level-administrative-boundary-data-for-india

There seems to be a possibility of getting them out of Open Street Map. www.osm.org and some other ideas, including example with Tamil Nadu.  I don’t think GADM will lead to detail you need.

You can go to geocommons.com and create a free account and search < taluk > and try to download the shapefile from any of the “datasets” that have thousands of features. I wasn’t having much luck, but you might get a shapefile with at least this level of geography.

From a google search < taluk shapefile > I found these:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/datameet/WVy1aJNehGE

https://revolutionarygis.wordpress.com/2014/01/18/india-state-district-and-taluk-shapefile/ (looks like just north, and probably the previous one is the same thing, too)

http://datameet.org/wiki/indiangeospatialdata (I think links to same places)