From: Joel Kovarsky <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2014 3:06 PM
To: Maps-L: Discussion Forum for Maps, Air Photo, Map Librarianship, GIS, etc.
Subject: Re: cleaning/polishing/'enhancing' copper map plates

I would check with major conservation outfits, such as http://ecsconservation.com/ . Even if they do not do it, they may have relevant contacts.

This is not a common occurrence these days, so here is a 17th century manual explaining the task: <http://artinprint.org/index.php/articles/article/a_manual_for_printing_copper_plates_predating_abraham_bosses_treatise_of_16> . Maybe not so helpful now, but an interesting textual description (the original German is also linked there).

Also, there is a little bit of discussion in Ad Stijnman's Engraving and Etching 1400-2000: A History of the Development of Manual Intaglio Printmaking Process, London: Archetype Publications, 2012, pp. 325-26 .

      Joel Kovarsky