Kathleen,

This is neat! One of the first projects I was involved in when arriving at Penn State was to find a company that specialized in custom trucks so we could get one to transport maps from our Map Library to Cataloging and back safely. What we ended up with has a cradle aspect similar to yours but its on the bottom shelf as opposed to the top. Ours is all wood as well. They were used for a time but for several years now they're stationary carts within the department, though the important aspect is the shelves are over-sized so most maps we bring up still are stored flat, as they should be, while going through the cataloging process.

Your new truck looks sharp!!! (noted the MSU green color too Wink)

Paige

From: "Kathleen Weessies" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, December 5, 2014 10:07:28 AM
Subject: Custom map cradle

Having seen a few map cradles around for transporting fragile maps (LC, U Mich, U Iowa), I asked a MSU metalsmith to make something for the MSU Map Library.  It just fits through the doorways between the Map Library and the planetary scanner in another department.

Will picture attachments go through the listserv?  Not sure.  If the above picture doesn’t show, click here:

http://staff.lib.msu.edu/weessie2/images/map-cradle-final-sm.jpg

Special thanks to Larry Ezzo.

Kathleen Weessies

Geosciences Librarian; Head, Map Library

Coordinator; Collaborative Technology Labs

Michigan State University

Main Library

366 W. Circle Drive, W308

East Lansing, MI  48824