________________________________
From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Virginia R Hetrick PhD <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 1:23 AM
To: Maps-L: Discussion Forum for Maps, Air Photo, Map Librarianship, GIS, etc.
Subject: Making pichers out of your 9x9s

Hi, folks, especially Pam and John -

Recently, my Xerox 8560 had indigestion and my colors weren't coming out right.  I needed an 11x14 print of a digital photo which I got for something like $3 at FedEx Office (formerly Kinkos).  They have a multiple size Xerox printer at the one near me that's in the same "series" as my 8560 (and ditto for the stores in downtown Santa Monica and in Encino).  The whole deal worked like a champ.

I captured the images (they were red-eared turtles - which in real life would have about the same footprint as an 8.5x11 piece of paper) as large as I possibly could and then ripped it (made it larger) so that what I'd print is at 300dpi and the same density as the printer.  Everything worked perfectly.  So, my cut would be that, if you grab a copy at whatever scale is the best available, you'll protect yourself in terms of having a bit of flexibility when you're ready to print.  In fact, if I were doing my dissertation now (as opposed to 40 years ago), I'd make my illustrations on the machines at FedEx Office (not my own, because I made myself a promise when I first saw the technology, that I'd buy one all for myself when the price went under $1000.  I actually did the deed in 2007 when it hit $795 or so.  And I love it!  Hope this helps.

virginia