All,

My boss has requested that I write a white paper (or something like it) outlining the best practices of an academic map collection.

The School's architect has designs on parts of the Map Room's physical space.  He thinks that we can digitize everything (copyright be damned), and put all that remains in some sort of tough-shed off-site.  Joy...

Do any of you have or can point me to:

--documentation regarding best practices for a map collection in an academic setting

--weights & measurements regarding compact shelving of map cases

--problems/benefits of off-site storage--what are the costs?  What should be kept on hand?

--deselection/weeding policies

--information regarding digitization (costs including the prep work, scanning, file storage, metadata work, hosting costs, website, etc.)--most non-librarian types think you scan something and you're done.  But we know different, but I need some stats.

Maybe I'll stack my map cases 6 high--the void under the floors doesn't matter, does it?

thanks.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night...

Christopher J.J. Thiry
Map Librarian
Colorado School of Mines
1400 Illinois