The elevator door width (if not capacity) would probably have been a problem for us, and I'm not sure about getting the tongue under the edges of the cabinets, but this looks like an ingenious option worth investigating. Our maps have been moved 3 times in the last 10 years, so maybe we should just have the equipment ready. J

Incidentally, we have a Jansen piano bench, and they really are very sturdy and very high quality, so I'd trust their products.  I actually can't find this particular model at their website, but they typically have a better price if you purchase directly from them (the manufacturer).

--Mark

Mark A. Thomas, GIS, Map, & Federal Documents Librarian

Subject Librarian for Economics and Geography

233C Perkins Library / 919-660-5853 / [log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----
From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Linda R Zellmer
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2015 11:09 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Moving Map Cabinets

Hello,

I have not seen this option mentioned for moving map cabinets, so I thought that I would chip in:

There are dollies that can slide under cabinets (including flat map cabinets) that can be used to jack up an entire stack:

http://handtrucks2go.com/Twin-Dolly-Trucks-for-Pianos-and-Appliances.html

If you have an elevator of sufficient size, these can be used to move an entire stack of cabinets (flat) all at once. You will have to slide the cabinets so that you can get to either side and slip the dollies under the cabinet. Run straps from one dolly to the other so that they stay in place once they are under the cabinet. Stepping on the lever on the dollies will jack the cabinet up a few inches so that it will roll. Note that these dollies have wheels that will swivel 360 degrees so it is easier to maneuver the cabinets.

If a library has elevators of sufficient size, I highly recommend these dollies, as they can be used to move one cabinet at a time. Linda Zellmer

--

Linda Zellmer

Government Information & Data Services Librarian Liaison to Natural & Physical Sciences & Agriculture

415 Malpass Library

Macomb, IL 61455

Phone: 309-298-2723

Fax: 309-298-2791