If you leave one side open, you have to wrestle with the map to get it out (which endangers it).  It isn’t that easy to get out with the static electricity holding it in place.  And patrons may be tempted to try to pull it out.  When I recently had something pulled for scanning, our conservator cut open the encapsulation, then had it redone afterward.  It is so easy with the welder that it wasn’t that big a deal.  They should/must be deacidified first.

The gaps at the corners idea used to be a recommended practice (we did it here too) but it was later debunked.  See the Northeast Document Center Preservation Pamphlet 4.9.

https://www.nedcc.org/free-resources/preservation-leaflets/4.-storage-and-handling/4.9-storage-solutions-for-oversized-paper-artifacts

Kathleen Weessies

Geosciences Librarian; Head, Map Library

Coordinator; Collaborative Technology Labs

Michigan State University

Main Library

366 W. Circle Drive, W308

East Lansing, MI  48824