When we did 27,000 (de-acidified) Serial Set maps at U-Md. 6+ years ago,
they were sealed on all four sides. The work was done by Etherington
Conservation (now HFGroup), and if I recall they either suggested we do it
that way or didn't say we shouldn't.

For the reasons already mentioned--esp. Kathleen's point about what people
are tempted to do when one side's left open--I wouldn't do it any other way
if I had the choice. I want encapsulated maps to *stay* encapsulated.

mf

--
Michael Fry
Senior Map Librarian