I just wanted to add a comment to the thread. I’m new to Maps-L.

Yes, it often depends on the particular needs and circumstances of an institution in any particular situation. As an archivist, I learned map cataloging in a three-year-long part-time grant-funded position in which I was tasked with checking old catalog records, updating existing ones, and creating many new ones as needed for a project encompassing 5,000 to-be-digitized maps. There was definitely a time constraint that required goal setting and pacing oneself to achieve the goal.

Leslie Wagner

Metadata Archivist

Access & Discovery

University of Texas at Arlington Libraries

817-272-6209