From: "Matthew Parsons" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:19:15 PM
Subject: Mystery property stamps on Japanese Gaihozu maps

Hello all,

I have a couple of Japanese professors visiting Seattle to take a look at our collection of Gaihozu maps. They have some questions regarding various stamps found on the maps:

"Foreign Map Library, Office of the Engineer, HQ FEC <or FEG?>"

"Library Branch, Intelligence Divison, 29th Engineering Battalion, (Base Topographic APO 500)"

"Area Analysis Division, Library and Services Branch, US AMS Far East"

Base on the UW Libraries property stamps on the maps, we received them in 1965, apparently from the Library of Congress (their property stamp is on some of the sheets), so just a little before my time. :) I assume that the mystery stamps are various Army offices, divisions and/or branches, but some sort of confirmation would be nice.

Anyone have some insights or context on these stamps?

Thanks!
Matt

Matthew Parsons, Associate Librarian
Geospatial Data and Maps