Maybe this isn't news to you all, but I just discovered that the online
index and chart viewer that gave the public access to hi-res versions of
NGA's nautical charts of non-US coastal waters worldwide have been taken
down from NOAA's site. (A couple of years ago they removed most charts due
to copyright restrictions. Now they've removed them all.)

See my correspondence with NOAA/OCS below...

For the moment, some charts are still viewable online at
www.nauticalchartsonline.com. Not sure how long that'll last if copyright
is the obstacle to free online access.

mf

Original message: Hi,
Not too long ago, the nauticalcharts.noaa.gov website hosted indexes to NGA
nautical charts of non-US waters and hi-res versions of charts from the
handful of regions (1, 5 and 9?) that they still had permission to make
freely available.

I don't see this resource available anymore. Has it moved, or has NGA
removed all of their nautical charts from free public access?

Thank you.
Michael Fry
Map Librarian and Map Editor
National Geographic Society
[log in to unmask]; 202.857.7098

OCS response: Thank you for contacting NOAA. Due to copyright restrictions,
we had to remove all NGA charts from our web site.

--
Michael Fry
Map Editor and Senior Map Librarian