My apologies if this has already been asked and answered ... I wasn't
able to find to anything about it in the list archives.

The instruction in RDA for recording longitude and latitude at 7.4.2.3
says "Separate the west and east coordinates with a hyphen and the north
and south coordinates with a hyphen. Do not use a space before or after
the hyphen."

But I've yet to see anyone do that!  In all the RDA records I've seen
that have coordinates in a 255, they are always separated by two hyphens
as in AACR2 (which called for a dash instead of a hyphen (3.3D1)).  I
just now looked a random sample in OCLC of about 100 LC RDA records for
CMs published in 2014 or 2015, and every single one of them that had
coordinates in a 255 $c used two hyphens to separate the east and west
and the north and south.

That of course looks very natural and correct to me, but I can't find an
LCPCC PS or any statement elsewhere in RDA overruling the instruction in
7.4.2.3 to use one hyphen.

In Mary's and Paige's and Susan's excellent /RDA and cartographic
resources/, they state the RDA instruction from 7.4.2.3 verbatim (in
quotes), but all of their examples show two hyphens.

I would appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on this!

Aloha,
Mike

Michael A. Chopey
Catalog Department