From: DMT 2015 - Digital Mapping Techniques <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of David R Soller <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 10:22 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Preliminary list of DMT'15 presentations

Hi folks -

The DMT'15 agenda is shaping up nicely and, as is typical for our casual meeting, it's coming together in the final weeks before the meeting.  I plan to assemble the actual agenda within a matter of days, so if you're planning to attend and offer a presentation, please get your oar in the water right away!

If you're not able to attend, we're very sorry you won't be there!  We will post (downloadable) presentations to the DMT website within a few weeks following the meeting, and I'll let you know when that occurs.  Also, I include below the preliminary list of DMT'15 presentations, for your reading pleasure.  Updates to this list, and the final agenda, will be posted to the DMT'15 site (http://geology.utah.gov/dmt2015/) in the next week or so.

To all, I wish you a happy and productive Spring.

Dave

-----
-----

Preliminary list of presentations and Discussion Sessions, for DMT'15:

Oral Presentations:

GIS-Ready Templates and Data for US Topo Maps
By Kristin A. Fishburn and Andrew J. Stauffer  (U.S. Geological Survey)

Building 3D PDFs to Visualize Geological Data
Daniel W. Eungard and David A. Jeschke (Washington Division of Geology and Earth Resources)

Overview of Global Mapper, Emphasizing Lidar Capabilities
By Mike Childs (Blue Marble Geographics)

The layered PDF: a tool for creating custom geologic maps that meet specific needs
By Matt Heller, Lorrie Coiner, and Marcie Occhi (Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy)

Geologic Field Mapping in Delaware – Paper Maps to Mobile Device
By Lillian Wang (Delaware Geological Survey)

High-value thematic maps and the importance of standardized geology
By Jen Athey and Diana Solie (Alaska DGGS and Baseline Geoconsulting, LLC)

Digital field work: Experiences with Collector for ArcGIS
By Ralph A. Haugerud (U.S. Geological Survey)

Translating legacy data into the NCGMP09 schema: Tales of two maps
By Ralph A. Haugerud and David R. Soller (U.S. Geological Survey)

Building the "National Archive" of geologic maps -- a progress report on the National Geologic Map Database
By National Geologic Map Database project (David R. Soller, presenter, U.S. Geological Survey)

Secrets of STATEMAP: Florida’s Experience in Standardizing GIS Workflows for Year-to-Year Efficiency in Geologic Mapping
By Seth W. Bassett, Richard C. Green, and Levi M. Hannon (Florida Geological Survey)

Using Arc GIS Online (AGOL) Tools to Create Web Mapping Apps for Your Desktop or Mobile Device
By Gordon Douglass (Utah Geological Survey)

Using Multiple GIS Resources and Information Databases to Overcome Challenges of Geologic Mapping in Urban Areas: Geologic Remapping of the Warm Springs Fault, Utah
By Adam P. McKean (Utah Geological Survey)

Creating a Seamless Geologic Map and FGDC Database for Montana
By Susan M. Vuke, Paul Thale, and Colleen G. Elliott (Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology)

Poster Presentations:

The New Alaska geologic map
By Frederic Wilson, Nora Shew, and Keith Labay (U.S. Geological Survey)

High-value thematic maps and the importance of standardized geology
By Jen Athey and Diana Solie (Alaska DGGS and Baseline Geoconsulting, LLC)

DGGS NCGMP09 Workflows
By Patricia Gallagher (Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys)

Showcasing Geologic Resources Inventory Products for Utah National Parks
By Ron Karpilo, Stephanie O’Meara, Derek Witt, James Chappell and Georgia Hybels (Colorado State University)

Tools and Techniques Used to Process Geologic Map Imagery for the National Geologic Map Database
By National Geologic Map Database project

Building the "National Archive" of geologic maps -- a progress report on the National Geologic Map Database
By National Geologic Map Database project

Geologic mapping data standards and collection techniques at the Kentucky Geological Survey
By Douglas C. Curl, Bethany Overfield, Steven L. Martin, and William Andrews, Jr. (Kentucky Geological Survey)

Discussion Sessions:

Progress on implementing the NCGMP09 database design
Moderated by Dave Soller and Ralph Haugerud (U.S. Geological Survey)
Summary:  This Session will focus on the ongoing efforts in states, USGS, and other agencies to evaluate, implement, and recommend improvements to this database design.  A systematic, time consuming effort during the past year has resulted in agreement on certain elements of NCGMP09 that need to be revised prior to releasing version 2 and proposing this design as the FGDC Standard for geologic map databases.  Results of that process will be outlined, and plans for completion of version 2, and for widespread implementation of this design, will be discussed.  This session will begin with an overview of the multi-year process by which NCGMP09 has been revised, with focus on the series of weekly telecons among State and Federal collaborators and the NCGMP09 Working Group.

Issues with digital-only publication, focusing on Web delivery, specifically on the PDF format
Moderated by Sandy Schenck (Delaware Geological Survey)
Summary:  Web delivery of geologic maps, reports, and databases is based on evolving technology and, therefore, the approach taken by a geological survey must be continually assessed and adapted.  This adaptation can bring chaos and high-cost challenges in managing publications.  This session will address these issues.  Regarding publication in PDF format in particular, what are the ramifications when the decision is made to not publish maps and reports as paper products?  Is PDF the best format for maps and/or scientific reports delivered to the general public?  Should these PDF files be capable of reproducing a professional quality paper print if desired?

So much paper and so many digits -- deciding how to manage both, in the midst of the Digital Revolution
Moderated by Dave Soller (U.S. Geological Survey)
Summary:  This Session is a continuation of last year’s highly successful session.  What are the advantages and disadvantages of managing, accessing, and using paper and digital information?  In a typical agency, information management decisions must be based on triage -- that is, what kinds of information are most vulnerable to loss?  Given our limited resources, what can we do to protect the (unpublished and published) paper and digital information assets upon which we all rely?  The outcome of this session will be a technical guidance document, focusing on data preservation of unpublished paper records and “born digital” information.