Hello,

This solution perhaps misses the mark, but it's another idea to keep in
mind for map display.

Stanford's paper conservator Deb Fox once suggested having a large magnet
board in the Map Room so that users could see the center of large maps
without leaning over them on a table top.  Because Deb was coming from the
perspective of preservation, she liked the idea of using magnets because
they would neither pierce nor kind the paper.

Good luck and please share your solution!

Best,

Emily Prince
*
Map Cataloger
Branner Earth Sciences Library & Map Collections
Stanford University