I’m locked in debate with map cataloger Tim Kiser over which maps are ‘military maps’ (LC genre/form term).   Our walking around definition is, “[maps] dealing with natural and man made physical features that may affect the planning and conduct of military operations” (Glossary of Mapping, Charting and Geodetic Terms, Third Edition, June 1973. Washington, DC: Defense Mapping Agency.)

Historical AMS/DMA maps are clearly military maps, but we find the modern international aeronautical charts and nautical charts distributed through the Federal Depository Library Program to be more confusing.  NIMA and NGA are certainly pivotal in their production.  Intent of the producers could be helpful here.  Are these charts produced to aid private and commercial activities (by an organization that happens to be military), or are they produced and maintained to inform military planning and operations (and are hijacked by non-military users because they’re so darn useful)?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Kathleen Weessies

Geosciences Librarian; Head, Map Library

Michigan State University

Main Library

366 W. Circle Drive, W308

East Lansing, MI  48824