I preface this with the usual “ I am not a cataloger….” and do not know the rules but:

I vote that nautical charts published by NGA are not military maps.

Charts produced by NOAA  generally cover domestic US waters while NGA charts generally cover foreign waters.   My reading of this is simply that NGA has the technology to produce maps of non-domestic waters.

Would British Admiralty charts be considered military maps?  BA charts cover the entire globe with no distinction between domestic UK waters and non-domestic waters.  How about German charts, French charts, Canadian charts, Chinese charts, Russian charts?

NOAA/NGA does produce LIMDIS “combat support charts” of selected domestic and foreign military bases for training purposes.  These charts have six digits as opposed to the normal five digits seen on US charts. These charts would be considered military maps.

Are all maps produced by Michelin road maps?
Are all maps produced by USGS topographic maps?
Would all maps produced by the CIA be considered intelligence maps?

Just some random thoughts from a non-cataloger….

Ed Redmond

LC, Geography and Map Division