When did it come to stand for Publishing rather than 0riñtiñg?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Why the question came up for me is that Carlos forwarded a copy of the email he received in response to his SuDoc query to the GPO, regardless of what the P Stans for.

Thanks.

virginia

On May 23, 2015 21:04, "MAPS-L automatic digest system" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
There is 1 message totaling 380 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. 2010 Census Block Maps SuDocs

Date:    Sat, 23 May 2015 20:24:54 +0000
From:    Carlos Diaz <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: 2010 Census Block Maps SuDocs

A while back, I sent an email to GPO asking for the SuDocs for the 2010 Census block maps. As you know, you now have to download those maps if you want them as part of your collection. Of course, you need a maps plotter to print them out (here's your chance to ask your library to get one for you...to update your maps collection for topographic maps and nautical charts you need to print them out as well).

Anywho, here's GPO's response to a SuDocs for the 2010 Census block maps.

Hello Carlos A. Diaz,

I'm very sorry that your first request never received a response.

The CGP now has a record  for the Census Bureau reference maps (found at: http://purl.fdlp.gov/GPO/gpo57521)    The new item number and SuDoc are: 0159-G-55 and C 3.223/11:   Since the 2010 Census Block Maps are part of this collection this is the SuDoc stem you could use.
Please see CGP sys# 949321 or OCLC# 857906362.

Thank you very much for contacting the U.S. Government Publishing Office and for your continued support of the Federal Depository Library Program. If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us again.

Dawn M. Pavao
Technical Services Librarian
Library Technical Information Services
U.S. Government Publishing Office
732 North Capitol St, NW
Washington, DC 20401
Phone 202.512.2010 ext 31701
Fax 202.512.1432
Email [log in to unmask]

Carlos A. Diaz
Government Publications, Maps, and Microforms
James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
Mailstop 7548
Ellensburg, WA 98926
509.963.1545
509.963.1541 (public service desk)

End of MAPS-L Digest - 22 May 2015 to 23 May 2015 (#2015-99)