Forwarded by Angie

From: Geonet listserv <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Wild, Emily <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2015 2:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [GEONET] update

Hi,

I just wanted to send out a quick update before vacation season starts!

(1) I mentioned during the GSIS sessions last fall at GSA that I would try to keep everyone in the loop with the USGS library downsizing and moving project.

It has been an interesting experience, and for those of you along the Front Range - thank you! For the past couple of weeks, I have been sending many local non-USGS researchers to Joni and Lisa's library at the Colorado School of Mines and to the University of Colorado - Boulder, as well as really utilizing all the wonderful handouts, tutorials, and reference help available from the GSIS website: http://www.geoinfo.org/membersites.html
- Lura's website rocks!  https://sites.google.com/site/lurascollections/

Likewise, thank you state geological surveys! I have been sending the public to you as well! I have been using this website: http://www.stategeologists.org/ and many of you are cooperating partners with our NGMDB (a win-win) : http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/
Search: http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/ngm-bin/ngm_compsearch.pl

Also, many of you have been using the new NGMDB TopoView, here is an article from this week:
It Just Got Easier to See a Cool Historical Maps Collection
http://www.wired.com/2015/05/amazing-collection-historical-maps-just-got-easier-see/

I know there have been a lot of changes in the USGS and we appreciate your patience. If you have additional comments, complaints, instruction, and(or) inquiries about the USGS, I apologize that I may not have time to listen anymore as a result of the downsizing and moving project; however, please feel free to contact our USGS Library Director,
Cate Canevari :  http://library.usgs.gov/staffcontacts.html
and(or)
for help with finding and using USGS materials, my colleagues at ASK USGS:  http://answers.usgs.gov/cgi-bin/gsanswers

Depending on the status of the move, I may be able to start the public webinars in August or September, but will keep you posted!

I already have a queue for group tours and presentations for next fall/winter, many local/national organizations are planning trips to Denver Federal Center, so if you are visiting from out of town, please be patient with scheduling : http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/105070

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(2) For a couple years, I have been trying to send out more information in less e-mails, but please remember, there are many great resources within the GSIS newsletter, wiki, and other sources on our GSIS web site! And, I apologize if I have to go radio silent in the coming months!

new USGS item that may be of interest:

New USGS Intellectual Property — USGS is seeking an industry partner interested in helping to test a new method of potentially reducing bat fatalities at wind turbines.

REDUCING BAT FATALITIES AT WIND TURBINES WITH DIM SUPPLEMENTAL LIGHTING

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(3) Just a quick reminder - GSA abstracts are due August 11http://community.geosociety.org/gsa2015/science-careers/sessions

T95. Evolution of the Data Life Cycle
Hannah Winkler
Geoscience Information Society

With the increased expectations in sharing of geoscience research data and complexities in the evolution of the data life cycle, we evaluate best practices in scientific data collection, preservation, recovery, and subsequent reuse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(4) I noticed this article in my news feed last night - by Richard Huffine :
Federal Investment in Repository Solution Sets New Bar for How Libraries Share

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(5) For those of you interested in data and data management, I will be at the CDI sessions next week and will provide an update to GSIS on the USGS activities :  https://my.usgs.gov/confluence/display/cdi/2015+CDI+Workshop

If you are local and want to attend, registration is still open: https://my.usgs.gov/confluence/display/cdi/Register+for+the+2015+CDI+Workshop
If you are looking for more information about CDI: http://www.usgs.gov/cdi/

About CDI:
The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Community for Data Integration (CDI) represents a dynamic aggregation of multiple communities of practice, focused on the advancement of scientific data and information management and integration capabilities across the USGS and external organizations to enhance earth science research.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(6) I was having problems with my LinkedIn account, so I had to delete it; after talking to several USGS colleagues about outreach and information dissemination, I opted for ResearchGate, so I posted many of my handouts, ppts, and reports that library users ask me about to the page...

I am still working on updating the library tutorials and will let you know when they are uploaded - for now, library users can still utilize the older versions if they need help: http://tinyurl.com/lh3tmua

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think that is all for today!

Enjoy the spring day!
Emily
President, Geoscience Information Society (GSIS)

Disclaimer: the use of trade, product, or firm names is for descriptive purposes only and does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Government.

Emily C. Wild
Librarian (Physical Scientist)
U.S. Geological Survey, Denver Library
Denver Federal Center