If my math is right, 60 full drawers is 12 map cabinets.

Remove 10 drawers (with maps inside), place two empty cabinets on pallet;  insert 10 drawers.  Repeat until done; and reverse process in final storage location.

Optional: Icy refreshments for student labor crew.

From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paige G. Andrew
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 4:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: how to ship thousands of maps

Barbara,

There's been quite a few posts on this topic here on MAPS-L over the years, I'm sure our fantastic moderator, Angie, can help you uncover prior discussions that will be helpful. And, over the years there has been a number of articles written about moving map collections too. While these might be broader in scope, they also include some details on how to "package" maps (most often doing something like shrinkwrapping the cabinets and moving them instead of groups of maps, but...) to prevent damage. A couple of those can be found in the journal I am editor for, the Journal of Map and Geography Libraries. See especially:

March, G. H. 2009. Using AutoCAD to help relocate a map collection: The University of Tennessee Libraries’ experience. 5(2): 157–173. doi:10.1080/ 15420350903001211

Also take a look at the Western Association of Map Libraries' Information Bulletin and if you can get your hands on the indexes to the Special Libraries Association, Geography and Map Division Bulletin (or SLA G&M Bulletin for short) I know there's related articles in there as well.

We have plenty of experience moving large chunks of our map collection, mostly large series or sets, from the library to one of our Annex sites, so I could put you in touch with a couple of folks who know what they're doing at the level of preparing and then moving large quantities of maps, just send me a note directly to [log in to unmask].

Paige Andrew

Maps Cataloging Librarian

Penn State University