From: Christopher Thiry
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 3:58 PM
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship
Subject: National Intelligence Survey maps FREE

FREE TO A GOOD HOME:

I have some maps from the National Intelligence Survey (NIS) from the late 1950s through early 1960s.  The NIS was a branch of the State Dept, but later it was transferred to the CIA.

These are themed maps of foreign countries.  The topics include soils, water resources, hypsometry, and many others.  It seems to me that these maps were razor-bladed out of larger reports, because each map is labeled "figure" XX.

The NIS's documents were classified/secret/confidential.  I cannot find any records for these maps in OCLC nor records of the reports they came from.  My best guess is that these maps came from the forerunners to the Country Reports by the State Dept.  The National Archives probably has these things, but no one else that I can find.

The maps themselves are in great shape.  Very good, clear, and detailed maps.  Unlike anything I have seen.

Unfortunately, the maps do not fit our collection well, but would be a marvelous addition to someone's collection.  They are very rare and an interesting snapshot.  I like that they say things like "Not releasable to foreign nationals" or "For official use only".

Countries include Iran, Germany, Cuba, East Germany, Venezuela, Ecuador, Guatemala, Brazil, Libya, and many more.

Probably about 100 maps all total.

I would love to give them to a single library.

Christopher J.J. Thiry
Map Librarian
Colorado School of Mines
1400 Illinois