There is quite a lot of information about the Bonne Projection in Snyder's Book, but from what I can gather the Bonne Projection is mathematically complex.  ArcGIS provides tools that allow one to convert maps from Bonne to UTM and other projections.  Methinks the best way to approach these questions is to work with a GIS analyst.  Maybe someone at the DMA or its French counterpart could be persuaded to help.

David Allen
Encinitas CA

-----Original Message-----
From: Julie Sweetkind-Singer <[log in to unmask]>
To: MAPS-L <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Mon, Aug 10, 2015 11:47 am
Subject: Re: Indochine Maps -- Bonne vs. UTM

Chris,

The best book I’ve found that explains the projections in technical terms is by John P. Snyder entitled, “Flattening the Earth: Two Thousand Years of Map Projections.”  If memory serves (and that’s a big IF!) there is quite a bit about the Bonne projection in there.

Also, I would highly recommend this book to be in every map library.  It’s really the definitive work on this subject.

Best,

Julie

****
Julie Sweetkind-Singer
Assistant Director of Geospatial, Cartographic and Scientific Data
Head Librarian, Branner Earth Sciences Library & Map Collections
397 Panama Mall, MC: 2211
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305
650-725-1102