Dear Mardi Seng,

I received the below communication from you via a Map Library List Service.  As it happens, I spent many years in the US Government involved with international mapping and can make a few observations and recommendations for your situation.

I understand that you need to plot locations derived from modern GPS measurements (based on WG-84 datum) on top of old maps produced according to the French Indochinese Bonne projection?  I suppose the border reference locations were recorded on those older maps, plus current political considerations come into play, but a more enduring and technically practical approach would be to transpose those original border locations from the older maps onto a new modern map based upon the WG-84 world datum. In any case you will need to employ the services of a skilled Geographic Information System professional, plus someone experienced and skilled in the technical analysis and interpretation of large scale topographic maps.

For your particular situation, the following articles may be of interest to the professionals I mentioned, because if full projection, datum, spheroid information is not printed on the maps, and if ArcGIS software has not captured the mathematical parameters for French Indochina mapping based on the Bonne projection, then a bit of research will be needed.
http://www.asprs.org/a/resources/grids/05-2002-vietnam.pdf
http://www.asprs.org/a/resources/grids/01-2001-france.pdf
 https://books.google.com/books?id=HNn-BAAAQBAJ&lpg=PA307&ots=w2F0wOC0Qs&dq=bonne%20projection%20indochina&pg=PA309#v=onepage&q=bonne%20projection%20indochina&f=false

I also found full GeoPDF scans of many US Army Map Service (AMS) maps here:  http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/vietnam/
Finally, I found supplemental history here:  http://www.history.army.mil/books/vietnam/engineers/appendixg.htm
I note that the US AMS maps are produced on the Everest Spheroid, UTM projection, and horizontal datum is Indian 1960.
Please note that the AMS mapping responsibilities have now been absorbed by the US National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA).  NGA may likely have current official mapping agreements with the Cambodian and Vietnamese government mapping organizations!

In any case, accurately transferring locations from one map to another can become a big mathematical challenge. Fortunately, someone has probably already tackled this challenge and captured the transformations in the leading digital mapping package: ArcGIS from ESRI in Redlands, California.

I would also suggest communicating via the US Embassy with the US Office of the Geographer at our Department of State (Foreign Ministry).  It is their responsibility to collect and preserve boundary maps for all parts of the world of interest to the United States.  I am sure they would take high interest in the current Cambodian/Vietnam joint effort.  Maybe they would also provide some form of assistance.

Also please contact ESRI in Redlands, California: http://www.esri.com/   ESRI’s president, Jack Dangermond, is very interested in international efforts such as yours and may provide assistance.

Best of luck and I’ll be glad to address follow-up questions you may have.

Mark S. Johnson, PMP
703-507-8008

Responding to the following email: