Fyi-- his response from GPO today:

…  “USGS/DMA map distribution was initiated via an interagency agreement and the first map shipments went out in October 1984. You can find the history of this documented in GPO's "Administrative Notes" publication. The cumulative index to Administrative Notes is available on FDLP.gov in the File Repository (http://www.fdlp.gov/file-repository/historical-publications/administrative-notes/940-administrative-notes-cumulative-table-of-contents)<http://www.fdlp.gov/file-repository/historical-publications/administrative-notes/940-administrative-notes-cumulative-table-of-contents%29>, as well as digitized issues from 1996-2009 when it ceased publication (http://www.fdlp.gov/file-repository/historical-publications/administrative-notes)<http://www.fdlp.gov/file-repository/historical-publications/administrative-notes%29>. USGS ceased printing the 7.5 minute topographic map series and replaced them with digital US Topo maps in 2009 (http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/)<http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/%29>.
Please feel free to contact us with any further questions!”

Melissa

From: Hartley, Melissa
Sent: Friday, October 02, 2015 12:36 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: When did federal maps begin distribution to depository libraries?

Fyi-- As I recall, listservs don’t allow attachments, but here is a spreadsheet of my findings showing the number of number OCLC GPO map records for USGS and sampled OCLC holdings between 1980 to 2014.  It looks like there many maps fitting these search criteria between 1996 and 2005, and very few in 1983 for some reason.
Melissa