Looking through the responses, I didn't see the answer that I thought
worked for special collections book and GPO map catalogers: include an
edition statement, e.g.
250 |a [Planimetric edition.]
rather than 5XX notes.

Colleagues suggest that otherwise similar records with unique values in
field 250 are not merged by OCLC. I hope this helps.

--
John A. Stevenson
Associate Librarian, Student Multimedia Design Center