Hi all,

Here’s something I should know how to handle, but right now I’m not sure.  A senior moment.  I have the following printed on the map.

Scale 1:17,500.

1 inch = 1/4 mile.

But 1 inch to ¼ mile isn’t 1:17,500.  I’m going to try to compare the map to a 7.5 minute topo and see which statement is closest.  But I’m concerned that the differences between 17500 and 15840 might not be discernable when I compare.  And if I can’t tell the difference, neither will a patron, which might make the question moot.  But the statement on the map is still incorrect.  Any ideas?

Rick Grapes

BYU Map Collection